Posts for: May, 2019
How Can Sealants Help Your Child's Smile?
Are you doing everything you can to keep your child's smile healthy? Getting dental sealants put on is simple and painless. Dental sealants are painted on as a liquid and quickly harden to form a shield over the teeth. Read on to find out how sealants from your family dentist in Elkhart, IN, can help your child's smile.
1. Sealants are virtually invisible. Dental sealants are clear or white in color, making them virtually invisible when smiling, eating, or talking. Dental sealants fit perfectly into the grooves of the teeth and look completely natural. They're designed to blend in with natural teeth.
2. Sealants help prevent tooth decay. Dental sealants cover the chewing surfaces of the teeth and protect these vulnerable areas from decay by "sealing out" food and plaque. A recent study showed that dental sealants warded off decay in high proportions of permanent teeth, sometimes for up to 10 years.
3. Sealants help prevent cavities. Tooth decay is the destruction of enamel that occurs when bacteria in the mouth make acids that eat away at the enamel. A dental cavity is the result of the tooth decay process that happens over time. Having dental sealants put on teeth before they decay will also save money and time in the long run by avoiding fillings, or crowns used to repair decayed teeth.
4. Sealants help prevent tooth loss. As children grow and develop, they will lose their baby teeth and new, permanent teeth will take their place. Premature tooth loss is a problem that often affects children. Dental sealants can keep your child's healthy so they are not lost too early.
5. Sealants are long-lasting. Dental sealants are durable and long-lasting. They can protect from decay for up to a year. Sealants need to be checked for wearing or chipping at regular dental checkups. Your family dentist in Elkhart, IN, can replace sealants as necessary. The family dentist can repair dental sealants by adding more sealant material.
If your child needs sealants, why wait? We can help you today! Call Elkhart Dental Center at (574) 522-0156 today to schedule a dental appointment in Elkhart, IN. Dental sealants will keep your child's smile healthy for years to come. Remember, healthy smiles are the happiest smiles!